Wednesday, September 18, 2013

1.1 Character Names by Anna Rae

Being at the age of an adult who has an option to birth a child, names are always on my mind. Heck, when I was a wee thing I not only named my stuffed animals, but I would think of names for my future children. Why? Well, having a good name is essential for the child. Not only does it reflect the child, but reflects you.

For many, including myself, many names that are created are inspired by a character from some show or movie or book or even a game. One of my friends has picked a character name from one of his favorite villains for his unborn child. Granted...its a good and cute name, but mainly because I know the background for the name. Others may not...there a million other things they'll think she's named after. This is not okay. He really should have thought about it more. I really don't care he named her what he did, but I feel bad. I like the idea of naming a child after a cool character you adore.

Hell...I have some names I would possibly like use:

-Henrietta
-Xena
-Diana
-Peter Parker (or just Parker)
-Iago
-Geoff
-Merry
-Robin
-Clark
-Irwin Wade (or just Wade)

There are some others, but those are my favorite. Some of them are good and some I don't think I'll be able to use, because the name is too out of there, my spouse may  not like the name, or it just may cause problems. Naming a child after a character really does need careful planning and a great deal of thinking. For example, if my current boyfriend and I had a child we would give him (in this case) the last name "Peters". Well, I couldn't very well call our son Peter Parker Peters. Lame. Also, the name Merry for a boy (though the character is a boy) would cause hurtful teasing. Those are just a couple example. As it can bee seen, be careful what character names you use for your child.


No comments:

Post a Comment